Monday, August 11, 2014

Lon Con 3

Loncon3-lrg1The World Science Fiction Convention returns to the UK this week with LonCon 3, out at the ExCel Centre in Docklands, and I'm going along on Friday 15th and Saturday 16th to hang out, talk about stuff, sign things and seek out all kinds of fun.

To learn more about the event, visit the website Here.

If you would like to find me during the weekend, here's where I'll be and what I'll be up to:

FRIDAY
Kaffeeklatsch
3:00pm - 4:00pm, London Suite 4
Come along and ask me anything about my writing, my work in games, or anything else for that matter. I may even attempt a reading. I will do my best to be polite and interesting. (Warning: may not actually contain politeness)
For information on sign-ups for the Kaffeeklatsches, check Here - or just, y'know, turn up.

Medieval Languages and Distant Vistas: Using The Past in Games
8:00pm - 9:00pm, Capital Suite 16
Although we might not notice it, history plays a huge part in modern gaming. Not only historical games such as Medieval War, but worlds created using our perspective of 'historical times', fantasy landscapes where the people speak with odd, archaic accents or cast spells created in ancient tongues. Why is history so important to games, and how is it used? Should we take more historical care in the way we present these people, places and tongues, and what sort of potential does the recreation of the past have for gaming worlds

SATURDAY
Autographing 1 - James Swallow
1:30pm - 3:00pm, Autographing Space
I will freely write my name on stuff for you, cheques and binding contracts exempt.

From Indie to AAA
4:30pm - 6:00pm, Capital Suite 16
Should Indie games aim for AAA status, or are they better off as a forum for arts and creative development? Can the two live together?

Thoughtful Play - using complex ideas in game development
6:00pm - 7:00pm, London Suite 2
Indie gaming, in videogames, board and cardgame genres is becoming a hugely important part of gaming, and is arguably changing the ways that games are understod. Importantly, the themes of love, friendship and connection are often core parts of these games, which investigate the ways that we understand key moments in our lives, as well as being entertaining and fun. Here we examine how indie games are capable of exploring complex ideas in games.

No comments:

Post a Comment