Wednesday, January 07, 2015

2K14 Books

My second annual year-end thing is the first of my list-o-ramas; so 2014 was a good year for reading, and it featured some interesting stuff for me - including an advance looks at m'colleagues Ben Aaronovitch's latest urban fantasy tome Foxglove Summer and David Mack's forthcoming 24 tie-in Rogue, the return to SF of one of my favourite authors with William Gibson's The Peripheral, and a look at some new writers I've not read before like Ann Leckie, Terry Hayes and James S.A. Corey. I felt like I read a lot more action-thrillers this year, but on reflection it seems it was roughly a third of my intake; admittedly, I've felt a little adrift from recent SF offerings recently, and I kinda drifted back toward my second love, which is technothrillers and spy-fi. But that said, I also binged on Star Trek ebooks at the start of the year, blasting through the Mere Anarchy and Slings And Arrows miniseries back-to-back.

My top picks of the year are the aforementioned The Peripheral and Terry Hayes's prose debut I Am Pilgrim.

Here's the list:
Mercy Kill (Aaron Allston), Fly Low Fly Fast (Robert Gandt), Absent Enemies (John Jackson Miller), A Sea of Troubles (J. Steven York & Christina F. York), The Opressor's Wrong (Phaedra M. Weldon), The Insolence of Office (William Leisner), That Sleep of Reason (Terri Osborne), A Weary Life (Robert Greenberger), Enterprises of Great Pitch and Moment (Keith R.A. DeCandido), Things Fall Apart (Dayton Ward & Kevin Dilmore), The Center Cannot Hold (Mike W. Barr), Shadows of the Indignant (Dave Galanter), The Darkness Drops Again (Christopher L. Bennett), The Blood-Dimmed Tide (Howard Weinstein), Its Hour Come Round (Margaret Wander Bonanno), How to Land [and Keep] a Literary Agent (Noah Lukeman), Countdown To War (Peter Grimsdale), Operation A.I.M. (Greg Cox), Runner (Patrick Lee), Kenobi (Miller), Leviathan Wakes (James S.A. Corey), The Unremembered Empire (Dan Abnett), Scars (Chris Wraight), Vengeful Spirit (Graham McNeill), Ezra's Gamble (Ryder Windham), The Damnation of Pythos (David Annandale), Pirate Alley (Stephen Coonts), Choke Point (Peter Telep), Joint Force Harrier (Commander Ade Orchard & James Barrington), Foxglove Summer (Ben Aaronovitch), Dreadnought (Thorarinn Gunnarsson), A New Dawn (Miller), The Pen is Mightier than the Nerd (Nev Fountain), Threat Vector (Tom Clancy with Mark Greaney), Rogue (David Mack), Star Wars Rebels: The Visual Guide (Adam Bray), I Am Pilgrim (Terry Hayes), Choosers of the Slain (James Cobb), Flesh of Cretacia (Andy Smillie), Seeds of Earth (Michael Cobley), Path of Destruction (Drew Karpyshyn), The Peripheral (William Gibson), White Lie (John Templeton Smith), YOU (Austin Grossman), Distrust That Particular Flavour (Gibson), Ancillary Justice (Ann Leckie)

No comments:

Post a Comment